Sweet and Sour tofu with egg fried rice and garlic pak choi 🍍
Delicious vegan meal option for a Tuesday night! Sweet and sour recipe below 🥰
• Pre prepare tofu by pressing with a heavy weighted object for at least 20 mins.
• Chop into small cubes and place in a medium sized bowl with 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 60g cornflour, salt and pepper. Stir to ensure all tofu pieces are coated in seasoning.
• Heat oil in a large frying pan and when very hot add the tofu pieces, allowing to sizzle for at least 5 minutes until browned and crisp.
• At this point remove the tofu and set aside then add some more oil to the pan, keeping the heat on. Once the oil has heated up, add sliced peppers (orange and yellow are good colours to use), 1 finely chopped red onion and a large handful of chopped pineapple.
• Whilst the vegetables and pineapple are browning, mix up the sweet and sour sauce combining 50g ketchup, 50ml rice vinegar, 50ml water, 80g soft brown sugar, 1 tbsp soy sauce and 1 tsp garlic powder.
• Add this mixture to the pan along with the cooked tofu, stir and leave to simmer for approx 8 minutes until a sticky texture is achieved.
Serve with egg fried rice and pak choi or any other vegetable side of choice 🧡